Roles and responsibilities
Must be a US Citizen or Green Card Holder
Estimated duration of 9 months with the potential for extension or conversion.
W2 with full benefits
Customer and contract specific training will be required and provided.
Labor Category: Mechanical Engineer IV
The Structural Dynamics Engineer will work in a team of engineers performing analysis and dynamic testing, and will frequently interact with JPL analysis team, project vendors, and customers as required. The Structural Dynamics Engineer must have skills in preparation and presentation of reports in support of reviews, and must be able to prepare dynamic test plans and test reports. Knowledge of JPL dynamic testing practices, including force limiting, is required.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
1. Preparation of test plans for shock and random vibration testing, including instrumentation selection, force limiting, and response limiting.
2. Derivation of dynamics requirements for projects in early phases.
3. Preparation of test reports of shock and random vibration tests.
4. Test conductor for dynamic tests as the test conductor at JPL or designated test lab in area.
5. Participation in dynamic tests at vendors to ensure compliance with JPL requirements.
6. Provide response predictions for models prior to dynamics tests.
7. Analyze and provide feedback on design of support equipment to dynamic sources.
8. Participation in regular project meetings, as well as Test Readiness Reviews and Test Analysis Reviews.
• Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or equivalent
• Some tasks may require occasional local travel in the Los Angeles area up to ten days per month.
• Experience and knowledge in the following areas:
• Execution of dynamic testing, including random vibration, sine burst, modal, and sine vibration
• Generation of dynamic environments and predictions for dynamic testing using analytical techniques and numerical tools
• FEMAP, MATLAB, Nastran, VAOne, and classical hand analyses
• Proficiency with post-processing of test data for requirements evaluation
• Strong mechanical background
• Experience preparing for project reviews
• Excellent written and oral communications skills
• Ability to lead teams of engineers through dynamic test campaigns
• Knowledge of GSE utilized in dynamics testing