Must be a US Citizen
W2 with full benefits
Pay Range - Max Pay Rate $45/hr
Customer and contract specific training will be required and provided.
Labor Category: Software Engineer- III (PI)
Seeking a highly motivated Software Engineer that works with minimal supervision/guidance to support the Advanced Weather Interactive Processing System (AWIPS) program using Java, Java Enterprise Edition (JEE) architecture, and Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) / Enterprise Bus (ESB) software technologies. The candidate must have experience and knowledge with software engineering using object oriented methodologies. The candidate will work as a software developer and integrator as part of a development team, which utilizes a diverse dynamic workforce, including many experts in their fields throughout the design, development and maintenance life cycle.
• Design and code software components, units, and modules that meet product specification and development schedules.
• Test and debug assigned components and units,
• Participate in large system and subsystem planning.
• Adhere to product build and release schedules and strategies.
• Act as a technical resource for lower-level developers.
• Possess a comprehensive knowledge of one or more platforms and operating systems and multiple programming languages. Typically requires knowledge of one or more systems architectures.
• Understand a variety of the field concepts, practices, and procedures.
• Rely on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
• Perform a variety of complicated tasks and use a wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
• Develop new functional capabilities within software applications to meet a wide range of customer requirements and operational needs.
• Integrate a wide variety of applications from various sources, and ensuring they meet performance standards for stability and resource utilization
• Adhere to accepted standards for development, including writing unit tests which provide a high percentage of code coverage, participating in peer code reviews, conducting design reviews, and generating test plans to ensure maximum stability and quality of code
Performs Software Engineering III duties to support customer requirements.
Designs and codes software components, units, and modules that meet product specification and development schedules. Tests and debugs assigned components and units, Participated in large system and subsystem planning. Adheres to product build and release schedules and strategies. Acts as a technical resource for lower-level developers. Requires comprehensive knowledge of one or more platforms and operating systems, and of programming languages. Typically requires knowledge of one or more systems architectures. Familiar with a variety of the field's concepts, practices, and procedures. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Performs a variety of complicated tasks. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected. Works under general supervision. Typically reports to a manager or head of a unit/department.
Basic Qualifications - Required Experience, Skills:
• Four or more years directly related to software development engineering in Java. A thorough understanding of Java gained through formal training can substitute for this experience
• Four or more years of experience in software development using Object Oriented Methodologies. Object Oriented Analysis (OOA) and Object Oriented Design (OOD) skills
• Programming skills Java/J2EE
• Proficiency in Unix and/or Linux
• Knowledge and understanding of software development life cycles
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• US Citizenship with the ability to obtain a Public Trust - candidate must be able to pass a National Agency Check (NAC).
Desired Experience, Skills, Knowledge:
• Two or more years of experience using Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) and/or Java 2 Enterprise Edition (J2EE) web services architecture. A thorough understanding of ESB or J2EE gained through formal training can substitute for this experience.
• Experience with Software design tools such as Rational Rose, Rhapsody, or comparable tools
• Experience with scripting is a plus (Perl & Python as well as others)
• Experience and/or knowledge with Web Service design and development
• Experience and/or knowledge with Service Oriented Architecture
• Experience developing and/or supporting solutions for weather and meteorological science.
• Experience in Extensible Markup Language (XML), Unified Modeling Language (UML), Eclipse IDE, database, and/or Graphical User Interfaces (GUIs) a plus.
• Experience in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or OpenGL technologies a plus.
Required Education (including Major):
Bachelor of Science, BS in a Math, Science or Engineering related field
Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher. (Please include your GPA on your resume.)