Must be a US Citizen or Green Card Holder
Estimated duration of 18 months with the potential for extension or conversion.
W2 with full benefits
Some travel may be required
Customer and contract specific training will be required and provided.
Labor Category: Systems Engineer IV
If you are passionate about spacecraft design, we invite you to join the Flight Systems Engineering, Integration and Test Section (313). We provide systems engineering for the design and implementation of spacecraft for the laboratory's key flight projects. Our work spans spacecraft systems engineering, payload systems integration, electrical systems integration, fault protection and autonomy design, landing systems design, spacecraft assembly and test, systems verification and validation, and systems modeling.
We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced Systems Engineer level 4 to join the System Testbed Engineering Group (313K/313L), reporting administratively to the Technical Group Supervisor and programmatically to the Lead Systems Engineer. Your initial assignment will be to serve as a System Testbed Engineer on the NISAR, Psyche, or Europa Clipper project. Some of your initial tasks may include authoring, executing, and reporting on procedures for the verification and validation of system level requirements, collecting and presenting test data to close requirements, and debugging problems in the flight system hardware and software, the electrical ground support equipment, and the simulation. You will work independently and within a team environment, collaborating on tasks performed across a spectrum of disciplines and have excellent
writing and oral presentation skills.
TASKS MAY INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
• Ensure that the system testing is successfully accomplished according to plan.
• Attend project meetings and work with other team members to accomplish project goals.
• Regularly meet with the team, assess status, review problems, plan short-term and long-term activities as well as present test results at project reviews and meetings.
• Participate in multidisciplinary and multi-organizational working groups across government and non-government agencies in order to plan and execute end-to-end testing activities.
• Must be a US Citizen or Green Card Holder
• Offer contingent on ability to successfully pass a background check and drug screen
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Physics, or related technical discipline with a minimum of 9 years of professional work experience, or Master’s degree with a minimum of 7 years of professional work experience, or Ph.D with a minimum of 5 years of professional work experience.
• Proficiency in resolving issues in test development, troubleshooting, training, and interaction with project and line management in order to ensure that project and line deliverables are met on schedule
• Proficiency in exercising discretion and judgment in evaluating potential approaches and solutions to critical problems and determining appropriate resolutions
• Proficiency in recommending deviations from established policies and procedures
• Ability to attend to assignments with limited direction
• Understanding of principles, concepts, and techniques used in system engineering of space and ground networks and space information systems
• Knowledge of industry and/or academic practices and standards across a range of applications related to the operation of space information systems, space/ground networks, space mission operations, and non-NASA missions
• Recent systems engineering experience and significant knowledge and experience in system-level verification and validation, integration and test, ground systems, and the function of spacecraft subsystems and instruments
• Ability to deal with multiple issues, tasks, and priorities concurrently
• Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills
• Availability for occasional domestic travel
• Class A mission experience
• Experience on flight projects in requirements development, integration and test and/or verification and validation
• Experience with guidance and control aspects of system engineering, including system software specification, development, and test; payloads and instruments; knowledge of project ground data systems and mission operations teams
• Experience planning for and leading complex hardware and/or software integration activities
• Experience and knowledge in one or more of the following areas: systems engineering of space and ground networks, space mission information systems, spacecraft communication systems
• Understanding and hands-on experience of JPL and NASA policies and procedures, JPL Flight Project Practices and Design Principles, and JPL system engineering practices; demonstrated ability to tailor the planning and execution of these on missions of various risk classes
• Proven ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary and multi-organizational team; ability to work on major project assignments without appreciable direction with accountability for technical performance
• Experience leading tasks and coordinating working groups on large-scale projects in system development, test, and/or operations
• Experience with development and delivery of system documentation, such as requirements documents, test plans, and release description documents
• Willingness to obtain a security clearance if asked